Sports Massage is the manipulation of soft tissue in injury prevention and rehabilitation. It maintains and restores normal function to the body to keep the athlete at optimum fitness. Sports massage works at a deeper level than other forms of massage.
It is important to remember that often the site of pain is not where the problem may be. A whole body approach is needed to address other possible contributory factors to alleviate symptoms and eliminate the problem.
For athletes in all sports and at all levels, the treatments can help keep you healthy while you train, maximise your performance on competition day and reduce the recovery time needed after your big efforts. Itcould be the difference between achieving a new Personal Best or crossing the line ahead of your main rival!
For those not involved with sporting activities, muscles can be become tired and strained from repetitive movements, sitting in the same position at work or from driving for long periods and sports massage can help re-energise your tired body.
Benefits of massage for sports people
Sports massage enables you to train longer and harder whilst reducing the risk of injury. Also, the recovery time from any soft tissue injury can be greatly reduced if sports massage is included in the rehabilitation process.
- Improves circulation and blood flow to the muscles
- Helps prevent muscle and tendon injuries
- Increases metabolism in the muscles and aids in the removal of metabolites
- Encourages rehabilitation after injury
- Reduces muscle fatigue
- Increases muscle flexibility
- Breaks-down knots and scar tissue
- Removes blockages in the muscles
- Aids identification of injuries/potential problems
- Addresses musculo-skeletal imbalances
- Increases joint mobility
Benefits for non-athletes
We put our bodies under great strain in our everyday lives, usually without even thinking about it – until it’s too late! Too many hours spent hunched over a computer is a common occurrence, and so is some over-enthusiastic gardening. A sport massage can speedy up the recovery from everyday aches, pains and strains.
- Helps alleviate back pain
- Treats postural aches
- Reduces stress
- Enhances wellbeing
- Improves muscle tone
- Restores physically, mentally and spiritually
- Reduces depression and anxiety
- Enhances immune system
To find out more or to book an appointment please contact us:
T: 01227 266439